Preparing for the installation
SynergyCP must be installed on a 64-bit Debian 8 or 9 server with no other software installed.
If you wish to install a developer version of SynergyCP (do not do this in production environments as it exposes utilities such as a database management UI) so that you can work on a SynergyCP package, please follow the instructions in our Developer Wiki.
Minimum Hardware Specifications:
- 8GB RAM
- 50GB free SSD space
- An 8GB Swap Partition is required on servers that have less than 8GB of RAM, but recommended for all servers.
- We strongly recommend using the fastest SSD possible for storage as the database is stored on disk.
- When installing, make sure at least 50GB is allocated to /var/ folder. The easiest way to do this is to just use a single root partition instead of separate ones for /, /var, and /home. Some automated installers will setup custom partition sizes, in which case these will need to be overridden if possible or resized after the initial boot of the server.
- Dual-core CPU
Recommended Hardware Specifications:
- 16GB RAM
- 100GB free SSD space (more for 250+ servers)
- 8GB Swap Partition
- Quad-core CPU
- Gigabit port speed
Pick a domain at which your clients will access SynergyCP, for example, dedicated.example.org. Register the following DNS entries to point to your SynergyCP server’s public IP:
You will need to configure your network to use the IP of the SynergyCP server for DHCP network boot requests. In most setups, this is done using DHCP relay on your core router. Your network administrator should know how to set this up.
Installing the Application
WARNING: The SynergyCP application is secure on its own, but it makes no attempt to secure the host machine that it is running on! We recommend locking down SSH on the host machine to only accept private keys - otherwise, you will be vulnerable to brute-force attack.
Run this shell script as the root user on the machine that will run SynergyCP:
cd /tmp && wget https://install.synergycp.com/bm/app.sh && bash app.sh
If the installation has errors or does not finish, please try the troubleshooting documentation. When the installation finishes, it will tell you the URL to visit to finish configuring SynergyCP. Once finished, follow the checklist at the bottom left side of the screen to get your first operating system reload running.
Recommended follow-up steps
- We recommend configuring SSL from the System > Settings > HTTP page. It's free and fully automated!
- Follow the checklist on the bottom left side of the SynergyCP Application to get your hardware added and your first OS install running.
- Check out the Theme Settings available from the user drop-down at the top right of the SynergyCP application. Most power users prefer to have the Navigation on top.
- Enable Two Factor Authentication on your account via the Account Settings available from the user drop-down.
- Set up the automated DB backups add-on package and look at the other packages we have available.
- If your servers are located in multiple data centers, you can add those locations.
- Configure SMTP for improved email deliverability from the System > Settings > Email page. If you don't have an SMTP server, SendGrid is great.
- If you wish to offer Windows Server OS reloads or another OS that does not come with the software, follow the instructions here.